Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap Tutorial

So I decided to jump on the homemade laundry soap bandwagon. I had been wanting to try it for a while but was a bit nervous that it wouldn't clean clothes good enough. But I did some research and read reviews and people were very happy with it and said it cleaned just as good if not better than store bought detergents....and they were right! I have been using it for over a month now and I am really love it, plus it is a great way to save money! Another bonus is that it was actually been better for our washing machine. We have a front load washer and the liquid detergent that we had used would build up inside and cause an odor over time. With the homemade detergent that is not the case.





Here is the recipe I used:



1 cup Borax ($3.99)

1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda ($2.99)

1 Bar Ivory Soap (Pack of 10 bars for $2.99)



For each average size load of wash I use 1 1/2 tbsp and for larger loads I use 2 tbsp. of the soap. The ingredients I purchased should give me about 10 batches of the reciped listed above and that should average about 175 loads of laundry. This equals to about $.17 per load, not bad! Plus, it only takes about 5 minutes to make up this recipe.

**UPDATE**  We have been using this recipe for over 6 months and I have only used half of the products I orignially purchased. I am pretty positive that we are averaging better than $.17 per load.




First, grate the bar of soap. I purchased a cheese grater from the Dollar Tree so that I can use it specifically for soap.




Once the soap is grated you can add 1/2 cup of the Borax and the Washing Soda. Mix it all together and you are done! So easy!





Then find a cute container to put it in (that is a must!) :)


No comments: